Sunday

Lover of My Clothes

7. seven. siete.
It's a magical and mystical number.
For some these past few weeks it has been a menacing and maddening number.
It is the number that the Holy Spirit used to inspire a fast in Jen Hatmaker.
She also wrote a blog, a book, and a bible study on the experience.
She took 7 areas of her life that were out of control, and surrendered them to Christ in what most would deem a radical way.

7 foods for one month.
7 items of clothing for one month.
7 things given away per day for one month.
7 places to spend money for one month.
7 times to pray and distress in one day, for one month.

Our church's bible study group is in week 3 of the 7 experiment.
This week's monster: Possessions.
The goal: give away seven things a day for seven days.
Alteration: purge seven items from each room in your house.
In purging my closet today in order to bless another, I stumbled upon an overwhelming factor that I chose, yes purposely ignored the Holy Spirit and CHOSE (Forgive me, Lord), to ignore...
I had over 350 items in my wardrobe.

I was taken aback. Stunned. Jared sat in the bathroom and watched/listened as I scolded myself for the amount of excess I had accumulated. I secretly judged my friend Anna (forgive me, chamiga) for having 322. I had to swallow a hard pill today and realize that when I think, "I got this..." I definitely do not.

Lord, forgive me.
I keep repeating that in my head.

And in light of this, and as an extension of the clothing fast... I am committing with FIRM RESOLVE to wear everything once before I can wear anything in that category a second time. I'll have to cycle through pants so I have a full, modest outfit to wear in public for the full term.
This will be an indefinite fast of clothing.

Jesus, walk me through this. Teach me what you need me to learn. Let me find my identity, security, and beauty in Your Face and not my clothes. Sweet King, lead me down the road less traveled, the one to Your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment